EducationBA, Political Science, F&M College (GPA 3.6)
Mandarin Immersion, Beijing FSU (GPA 3.9)
Mandarin Immersion, IUP, Qinghua University (GPA 3.4)
Diploma, Cum Laude, Woodberry Forest School (GPA 3.7)
Certificate, Non-Profit Management, UVA SCPS
ExperienceNi Hao! I teach Mandarin Chinese at the Miller School of Albemarle (full time faculty) and at UVA (Summer Language Institute). Fifteen years experience in Sino-US consulting; five years experience coaching/tutoring kids, teenagers, adults.
- versed in IC (Cheng & Shui), IUP (UC Berkeley), and Princeton curricula; tailor-made materials also available.
- lived in Beijing for 8 years, worked in broadcast journalism, management consulting.
- filed print, radio, and television for Reuters, Asian Wall Street Journal, South China Morning Post, CBS News, Financial Times, many others; can help you write more effectively.
- advised, briefed Fortune 500 MNCs, Martha Stewart, Quincy Jones, USG, and other select clients on China market entry, business development.
- traveled and/or studied in 50+ countries
- collegiate NCAA swimmer; varsity HS swimmer; Red Cross certifications in CPR/AED and First Aid (current), WSI and Lifeguard (dated); current PADI Divemaster, Adventure Scuba Instructor.
- scored 750 math, 720 verbal on GRE.
- resume, references available on request.
- love teaching because I'm passionate about these subjects and would love to share my enthusiasm with you!
Hobbies- travel, reading, hiking, squash, scuba diving, gongfu
Client Reviews (4)
Jeff was very experienced and knowledgeable in Mandarin. He was patient as a tutor and sincerely cared that I learned and progressed. He was accommodating in locations and times for lessons and had a lot of valuable information and advice about living in China. I highly recommend Jeff as a tutor.
Jeff is a stellar teacher. I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to learn Mandarin in a way that is both fun and effective to work with him. My lessons with Jeff always leave me super energized and eager to learn more. He has made the language come to life for me. In response to my special interests, Jeff developed a customized curriculum for me that covers the foundations of written and spoken Mandarin, as well as supplementation with written, audio, and videotaped information about Chinese culture, history, politics and language evoluation. He uses a multimedia approach to reinforce information so that it is easier to learn. He is well-organized and explains concepts clearly. He is patient and great at delivering feedback in a constructive and encouraging way, keeping me highly engaged and motivated. I cannot recommend him highly enough; he is the best.
I am a physics PhD student at UVA. Jeff created a custom-tailored class for me to improve my writing and communication skills -- critical abilities that most scholars in my field struggle with greatly. Our work together over the past six months, which has covered classical masters like Aristotle and Cicero to modern experts like Shrunk, White, and Zinssler, is helping me to write and speak with clarity, confidence, simplicity, conciseness, and above all humanity. Jeff's probing mind and deep experience would be valuable for any student in any academic field. My dissertation writing is benefiting enormously from our ongoing sessions. He is dedicated, adaptable, and good-natured. Highly recommended.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.